skip to Main Content
Back To Top
- Hire a cleaning service. A spotlessly clean home is essential; dirt will turn off a prospect faster than anything.
- Mow your lawn, and be sure toys and yard equipment are put away.
- Serve cookies, coffee, and soft drinks. It creates a welcoming touch. But be sure the kitchen has been cleaned up; use disposable cups so the sink doesnt fill up.
- Lock up your valuables, jewelry, and money. Although the real estate salesperson will be on site during the open house, its impossible to watch everyone all the time.
- Turn on all the lights. Even in the daytime, incandescent lights add sparkle.
- Send your pets to a neighbor or take them outside. If thats not possible, crate them or confine them to one room (a basement or bath), and let the salesperson know where to find them.
- Leave. Its awkward for prospective buyers to look in your closets and express their opinions of your home with you there.